Monday, September 27, 2010

host family

I've been at my new host family's place almost a month now, but still haven't got pictures up. I'll probably have to wait till a puja day to get a picture of everyone... but here are few in the meantime. Below is the verandah where cooking, eating, and talking happens. Like village homes, their house is a set of small room around this central courtyard area.


The old couple have two sons and one grandson -- Piash. I always get a warm welcome from Piash when I get up in the morning, and he's also been a good language tutor. (For a 3-year-old, he has very clear Bangla.)


And a fish-eye view of my room. On my bed I have a shitol pati, a reed mat that feels cooler in the summer than cloth sheets. When I told a student friend that I had slept on one for the first time, he was amazed -- how could I have survived the hot seasons before without one?!?

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see the room's looking good! I like the shitol pati. I should have gotten one. I slept on one once at Pintu's village in May. It was quite nice. Bhalo thako.

    ReplyDelete