Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Jackfruit

Here's another fruit post. The jackfruit (কাঠাল, kathal in Bangla) is an incredible fruit -- it grows right off the trunk of the tree and can get up to 80 lb.


I have lots of good memories of jackfruit eating contests, but the season has been overshadowed by the mango season, so I only bought my first one yesterday. Here my roomate Nathan and I are finishing up the dissection....


I haven't been buying jackfruit because they come in XXL & up; not in convenient one-snack-size packages like most fruit. Fortunately both my roommates enjoy jackfruit, so this small was finished off in one day. Many foreigners, and quite a few Bengalis, are put off by the smell or consistancy. But it has an important place in Bengali culture -- even getting the spot as 'national fruit.' I've just been learning the dozen or so different names for the soft and firm varieties.



Everything on the jackfruit is used -- the seeds are great in curry, and cows eat the outer skin.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel, sweet blog! Falling jackfruits are fairly dangerous to the unsuspecting passerby! I wonder if the national fruit has played a weaponry role? Maybe in childhood games only :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad loves eating them frozen. :) I don't get bothered by the smell, but I don't like the taste and texture. I'll try cooking them in curry the next time I'm home!

    ReplyDelete