Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mango season

I'm in Rajshahi during mango season, and there's no better place for mango. Rajshahi is the the big division (state) capitol, where my parents and brother's family live. It is also at the hub for the mango growing region -- and any Bengali will tell you that the best mangos come from here.

So this morning my nephew Elias and I walked over to the nearest mango market. For over 50 meters on either side of this road there are unbroken lines of mango sellers -- and this is only one of several mango centers in town.

I restrained myself after filling a couple grocery bags, as I'll need to carry them back with me to Bogra. At Tk. 35/kg (about 25 cents/lb), even a MCC food budget allows for a lot of mango.


With mango in cereal, in salads, in smoothies, in popsicles, and after every meal, our garbage usually ends up looking like this:

3 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel, I'm glad things are going well for you in Bdesh. Those mangoes sure look lovely! Great that you have a blog, looking forward to regular updates ;)

    Hälsningar från Gaithersburg, MD,
    Jakob H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! I've never seen ripe mangoes that were green. Looks very yummy :)

    ReplyDelete